The 50th birthday of the person that is important to you is getting closer. The celebrant might be saying things like “Mah! Ain’t a big deal “, “I am an adult, I don’t care about parties anymore”, “Birthday! The day like any other day!” etc., but you know that it is not true. Half of the century is a long period of time during which many significant events occurred. Thus, this jubilee requires a special attention. One of the best things to do is to make a theme party. In this article, we shall present you the most interesting 50th birthday party themes for both him and her. Our suggestions will range from 50th birthday party decor to food and drinks and will vary from elegant and exotic to casual suggestions.
What is a good theme for a 50th birthday party?
Choosing the good 50th birthday party theme is one of the “easy to say – hard to do” things. Luckily, answers to these questions will lead you to the good choice.
- How would you describe celebrant?
- Which color associates you of him/her?
- Which things does he/she like and what are his/her hobbies.
- What type of music does he/she listen?
- Which dressing/decoration style does he/she prefers?
- Which celebrities does he/she admire?
- How does she/he like to spend free time?
What is the 50th birthday called?
The first thing you should start with is name. Omen est nomen as old Romans used to say. The name will be written on the invitation card and must contain the theme essence itself. One of the things that helps in these situations is free association technique. Just think of the first word that comes in your mind when you think about celebrant’s perfect 50th theme birthday. Still, it might not be enough.
Luckily, the good names share a few common characteristics:
- it informs what the theme is: although a little mystery never killed anyone, name of the party has to be “to the point”. It has to hit the same above-mentioned essence of the theme and to inform invitees what is the party about
- it attracts your guests’ attention: The name of the party is the first thing invitees are going to see on the invitation list. Thus, it has to be something that will intrigue them, make them laugh or provoke any other emotion. In other words, something that will cause your invitees to be completely impatient about the party!
- it is easy to remember: It might seem that this characteristic already exists within previous one, but don’t get tricked. Getting someone’s attention and making him/her memorize something isn’t the same thing. Therefore, be aware that name is not too alternative, too long, too abstract or too personal! Make it unique, but simple and straightforward. For that purpose, we give you two suggestions. The first suggestion is an old marketing trick and that is to use rhymes. As we all know, they are funny and easy to remember. The second suggestion is to use pop-culture or cultural references in general. If you are organizing middle-east theme party, use 1001 nights in its reference or if you are making horror-theme party, use the title of some movie/book classic (e.g. I became a 50-year-old werewolf)
What is the color theme for 50th birthday?
The second crucial component of successful theme party after name is the color. Every color has its beauty and symbolism. Some of the most commonly used colors for 50th birthdays are:
Disclosure:Please note that the links below are affiliate links. Yup, I might get some monies to fuel my sweets addiction… More sweets for me = More great free content for you! Overall, this means I may earn a commission (at no additional cost to you) if you decide to purchase something. Thank you so much for your continued support! 😊
- golden Many people consider themselves to be in “golden age” when they reach half of century, so naturally this color is the most common theme color for 50th birthday celebration. Also, gold is the color of the kings, so it will definitely give royal note.
- silver Maybe it does not share throne with gold, but still gives the impression of glamour and elegance. It may be combined with gold, but may be used by itself. The celebrant and space in silver tone will look elegant and classy.
- purple in ancient times, purple color coming from sea snails was one of the most expensive goods and was considered as high-status symbol. Today, it lost its battle with golden and silver, but it can still make your celebration look elegant, but yet with a dose of fun and causality.
- red what was purple in ancient times, it is red in modern world. This color will immediately recall the red carpets of Hollywood. Since this is very sensual color, it is good to use it for evening parties.
The possible number of color combinations that you can make is countless. Here are few suggestions:
- Total eclipse – make a celestial atmosphere by combine gold and magenta and mauve purple with black
- Marry Gold – create an ideal luxe boho ambient for intimate backyard party by combining bright marigold and earthly copper with pale pink and cool blues
- Red carpet modern – if you want something romantic, passionate and dramatic at the same time, this could be a good color theme for you. Combine berry and lipstick red with soft pastel pink and silver.
- Dark cosmic – are you imagining celebrant and guest sensing experience from another universe? Well, then this cosmic solution is a good option for you. Make combination of gold and aqua purple with eggplant/navy and black! Everybody will feel like if they were lost in outer space.
- Industrial modern – you are more into modern and less into traditional decoration! Then combine gold and silver with eggplant blue and cool mint!
- Wine n dine – if wine is going to be drink “star of the evening” then you should make a proper stage! Make a rich combination of red, purple and pink and then soften it with some beige.
- Frosty Affair – the combination of silver, tiffany blue, bold black and taupe is going to turn your celebration into winter fairytale!
- Gothic Glam – dreaming of Victorian style celebration! Then make combination of gold, eggplant purple, black and dark navy.
- Stay worm – finally, if you want celebration to be elegant, but yet warm and cozy, combine brick red and shimmery silver with forest green and cinnamon brown.
What are some good birthday party themes?
By choosing the theme name and color, you made the first step. Yet, the hardest task is still in front of you. You have to concretize the theme – from theme décor to food and drinks. Hereby we made a short list of possible themes!
Party themes for her
Pretty-in-pink wine tasting party
Do you want celebrant to feel like a Disney princess? Tell tp all female guests to wear something pink. Decorate the table with pink flowers and cookies. You may also add some additional elements, link pink flower crown for every guest or tie a pink name card on each wine glass!
Daisy décor and favors theme
Yet, if celebrant prefer to be fairy than princess, you might make a garden party with daisy-shaped cookies (or any other sweets, like lollipops, rubber ducks, and paper cones holding penny candy). Put all these with some fresh flowers on gingham tablecloth. You may also serve drinks like lemonade in jars, with handwritten labels.
50 and Fabolous theme
Let the celebrant feel strong and powerful! Make the decoration as glitter as possible. Go to local party store and choose gold, black/blue or/and silver decoration, like golden napkins and sleek charger plates! Additional details may include “50 and Fabulous” cake topper or DIY balloons. Prepare some elegant finger food like quinoa salad or mini butternut squash croquettes and serve guests with champagne and cocktails!
Hollywood ’50s Decade party theme
Bring your celebrant back to the golden age of Hollywood and make her feel like a diva! The must-have decoration of this theme is red carpet! Around red carpet and over whole celebrating space, add a bunch of glamorous details, from gold or silver fabric and helium-filled star balloons to red roses and glittering stars. Like in previous theme, elegant finger food like mini beef wellington and mini tartines or tostadas is the good solution. For dessert, put an effort on platting techniques to make your desert shine. Finally, for drinks serve martini, vodka or cocktails!
Chanel Party Theme
When you think of fashion, to your mind will probably come its ever-lasting queen Gabrielle Coco Chanel. This theme is ideal if celebrant is fashion-freak and loves glamour. Inform guests that dress code is elegant and it is preferable to wear combinations like an elegant little suit or sweater set and capris. While decorating use dominantly black, white and pink. Add some tall vases with large bouquets. Prepare finger food and cookies with Chanel logo. Serve cocktails, martini, vodka and obligatory famous French St-Germain cocktail.
Party themes for him
Rustic party theme
This is an ideal theme in case that outdoor activities are celebrant’s hobby. Decorate a space with warm brown and fresh green. Add some jars (which may serve for both drinking or candles), slabs of wood (for serving food and drink) and 50th wooden cake topper. Prepare food as “earthly” as possible. You can turn pretzel sticks into branches if you dip them in milk chocolate or white chocolate. The cheese might be turned into pine cone if combined with almonds and rosemary. The good theme drink for this celebration is Texas tea.
Black and white theme
If the celebrant is more into formal celebration, then you should consider this theme. The effect of elegance and luxury is produced through black and white combination colors of curtains, table clothes and balloons. Additionally, you may add streamers and garland. If it seems too monotonous, put vases with red roses on the tables. The food should include elegant appetizers and black & white cake pops, while drink should include hot chocolate or black punch and of course, champagne!
Sport party theme
Is he absolutely devoted sport fan? Then make his 50th birthday into unique sport theme event that will overshadow NBA. Decorate space with sport theme decoration in colors of his favorite club. Add some items like helium balloons his favorite club logo or hang posters of his favorite athletes on the wall! If a big game is happening on birthday day, that will be big organization plus. If not, just put sports channel on, make some hot dog, popcorn or nachos and grab a few bears. You could also make birthday cake décor like dress of his favorite club, with his name and number 50!
Western party theme
If he is the Western fan, this theme might be a good choice. Inform your guests to come in jeans with cowboy hats (if they got one). Use red, black and brown as main decoration colors. If you have cactuses, western movie posters or any other wild west items at your home, use them as well. Prepare some classical American BBQ (with BBQ sauce), play some country music and some western classic on TV and let the celebrant face the other half of century – right at high noon.
Army party theme
Target approved! Make him party as a good soldier would do! For this theme, you could actually really start with invitation card. Write on them some strong vibrant message like “Top secret” or “Highly confidential”. Decorate the space with army colors (different shades of army green and earthly brown) and add some army items (which may be everything, from your child’s gun toy to your grandpa’s medal of honor to army movie posters). Be creative with food. You can make miniature bombs of falafel or meatballs, corn grenades, broccoli parachutes or ravioli with red sauce as band-aid patches. You can also write message like “Reach 50 – mission accomplished” on the birthday cake, accompanied with cupcakes in army color!
Neutral party themes
Wine and cheese Italian theme
This theme is quite easy to prepare! All you need to prepare is Italian décor (green, white and red), different types of cheese and various sorts of wine. Hard, semi-hard and mold, white and blue, cow’s, sheep’s and goat’s cheese, cream cheese, feta, mortadella, mozzarella, gouda, chevre, mizithra, ricotta…. make sure that you have as much types as possible and to serve them correctly. Also, each type of cheese requires a specific sort of wine, so beware that every sort of cheese has its wine match.
In the quest for British mysteries
Was the celebrant always dreaming of being Sherlock Holms? Or at least Watson, his faithful assistant. Then you may prepare one nice Victorian or Edwardian style party, the one Sherlock Holms would attend. Put an elegant tablecloth, napkins and crystal glasses. Prepare some British dish and richly decorated, two-floor cake. Beside cake make some pudding for dessert. Both Victorians and Edwardians loved flowers, so you should put a lot of flowers on the table. After a meal, you could all gather at 5 o’clock for a of cup of tea or coffee.
The celebrant might not be able to rub a lamp and get three wishes for his 50th birthday, but might get a good oriental theme party. The exotic pillows and curtains from gift shop will do the work. Put some red candles, lanterns and incense. If you cannot find incense sticks or oil, the scent candles will do the job. Pick the smell like jasmine or sandalwood. The Arab food has a lot of meals to offer, so it will be easy to satisfy everyone’s taste.
Televisa presenta: una fiesta loca theme
Mexican themes are always popular, due their cheerful nature. Decorate the celebration space by putting some Mexican celling decoration (if you are able to provide a piñata, even better). Prepare some Mexican food, take a few tequila shots with lemon and salt, drink some cerveza and dance all night with Mexican and Latin American hits!
Tsamina mina zangalewa – it’s time for Africa theme
Cover the tables with animal print (of some African animal like tiger or zebra). Order/make some African food and put some African items (like small statuaries or drums) all over celebrating space. The African food usually includes grilled meat or roasted vegetables, so you might think of organizing this party outside if you have barbeque in your garden.
Far East Theme
Maybe the birthday wish of celebrant was to see rising Sun on Fuji Mountain. You can partly fulfil his/her wish by making Japanese theme party. Put some decor in Japanese design. If you cannot find it, white-red décor will do fine. Prepare sushi and other Japanese dishes. Put dishes on the table in traditional Japanese circle order. Put paper lanterns on the celling. Give toast with sake, traditional Japanese drink. Be aware, it is very strong.
Viva Las Vegas
Inform people about the games and divide them into teams. Since the guests will be occupied by playing, “finger food” is the best food option. The chicken wings are an ideal choice accompanied by potato wedges, crisps, olives, peanuts and some chocolate and sweets for dessert. Be creative about cake! For example, make it like roulette machine with jackpot, so the celebrant could fortunately start new half of century! To make Las Vegas decoration, use cards or dice motives!
If birthday celebrant is a devoted horror fan, the 50th Birthday might be a good opportunity to celebrate Halloween twice. Just unpack your Halloween decoration! If it is a surprise party, you might turn your lights off, hide and start playing 1978 Carpenter’s theme (or some other horror classic theme) and give celebrant one jump scare surprise. Make a cake in the form of Halloween pumpkin, Dracula’s castle or some other grizzly theme and serve the guests with some Bloody Mary’s.
Young again decade’s theme
The 50th birthday might be the good opportunity to revoke good old days. Remember how you used to party when you were young (your outfits, music, food and drink). Go to your cellar/attic and open your memory box. Decorate room with memories and ask guests to bring their own and to dress in fashion of decade. Additionally, make a panel with photographs from celebrants’ youth or/and put photos on the balloons. The celebration like this will be like pushing the button on time machine!
Mock funeral theme
Okay, this theme is very specific and requires that celebrant has a specific sense of black humor. The main idea of this theme is that you are lamenting over celebrant’s youth. So, ask your guests to come in black. Prepare food in tomb shapes and make the main decoration color black.
Beach theme party
Regardless if the beach is close or if is summer birthday, beach party is always a good idea. For decoration, combine some ocean turquoise and send yellow. Add some sea items, like small boats or shells. Prepare fish or sea fruit food and make some summer cocktails.
As we come to the end…
When you decide the theme, you are making the invitation cards. Be sure that name of the theme and its main colors are clearly visible on cards. By that, you’ll give your guests a hint or better said, teaser trailer for the party.
As we come to the end, there is one important thing left to be said. Make the process of creating and organizing 50th birthday fun. Don’t turn yourself into organization monster and don’t let the organization to become a torture. Think of it as an opportunity to improve your organization skills! Good luck and have fun!
PS: say “happy birthday” to celebrant in our name ?