Sweet sixteen birthday party is an important event for many young girls and it needs to be perfect! They are getting more mature and independent and it is time to celebrate the start of the new chapter of life.
This event is not so easy to organize and there are so many details. But don’t be overwhelmed because we are here to help you! One of the good places to start is by choosing a theme for the party. Here are some good points to consider before that:
Before choosing a theme:
- Birthday girl’s hobbies and interests
The whole point of this event is for your girl to have fun and enjoy herself. So, when choosing a theme, you should try to connect it to the things that make her happy. What type of a person is she, what does she like and do in her free time? Is she more of a sport or a creative type? Does she like fashion, nature, travelling? Does she like watching movies or reading books? What colors does she like? Write down all of the things you can think of and brainstorm some more. It will be much easier to come up with a theme if you spend a good amount of time on this task.
Have you already booked a certain location or have one on your mind? This could narrow your choice and help you decide between different themes. If you have booked a restaurant then you can cross off outdoor themes and vise versa. If you still haven’t chosen a venue then consider what locations are available and with which themes they can be paired with.
This one you should mostly consider when choosing if you want to be outdoors or indoors, but season can also inspire you when choosing your theme. Winter season goes well with holiday spirit, summer goes hand in hand with bright colors, so you can implement these motifs to your party. But who says that you have to follow the rules? You can also make a contrast and choose the complete opposite. You can brighten up cold days with some spring flower ideas or make a beach party indoors!
- Guest type
Even though you should mainly focus on your daughter’s wishes, you should also consider what type of guests you are inviting. Are these just your daughter’s friends or are there going to be the rest of the family, or some of your friends too? Especially consider young children or elderly people.
Now that you have considered these important points you can start thinking of concrete party themes. You can choose from these categories and mix them to get a perfect combination that fits your daughter’s taste.
When it comes to choosing a theme, you can just pick your daughter’s favorite colors and see if they complement each other. Some colors go great together, but some don’t. Here are some combinations that always work and can get you inspired:
- Black and white – This is a classic duo. Black is elegant and mysterious and white represents purity, innocence and softness, so they make a great match. If you want your party to be glamourous, this is the safest option. If you want to add a third color, pink or red is a good idea. Also, you can choose to go with just white, white and gold or black and gold.
- Pastel – Colors like baby blue, light pink, magic mint, lavender and ivory are a beautiful representation of romance and love. Choose this if you like soft and calming feeling they create.
- Pink – Those who love pink will choose this instantly. An absolutely girly and sweet theme that is popular for a very long time. Your daughter is going to be a true princess!
- Yellow – Is your daughter warm and cheerful? This sunshine hue is perfect for creating a light and positive atmosphere.
- Neon party – Do you want all of your guests to glow in the dark? This is a black light party and everybody needs to wear white or fluorescent clothes. Don’t forget to buy UV reacting pens and paint so you can get creative and draw tattoos on each other.
- Time travel
Some girls just wish they were born in some other time period. If your daughter feels the same, maybe you could make her wish come true, at least for one day. As each decade passed, fashion and style changed, as well as technology and the way of living. Could you take up this challenge of taking the party back through time?
- The 1920s – Feathers, flapper dresses, cloche hats, short bob hairstyles and the jazz age. This was a great time for women and for their freedom, as they gained the right to vote. If your daughter likes Great Gatsby’s parties, then this is a perfect choice for her.
- The 1970s – Disco culture, platform heels, high slit skirts with boots and bell-bottoms – this is what 1970s looked like. Don’t forget to play some ABBA songs.
- The 1990s – Oversized sweaters, denim from head to toe, Converse All Star trainers, and many more. In second hand shops you will find many items that represent this time period.
These are our favorite eras, but there are many more options. Do some research on other periods that you find interesting.
- Movies/TV shows/Books
Movies, TV shows and books are part of our life and they also shape our personality and style. Everybody has a favorite one, as well as your daughter, and why wouldn’t you use it as her party theme if she loves it so much? You can buy some cheesy nachos and popcorn and enjoy the night.
- Disney – Disney gives you so many options with its numerous movies that everyone loves. It is impossible to list them all, but here are our favorite suggestions:
- Alice in Wonderland – lose yourself in the fantasy world decorated with different sized teacups and weird creatures.
- Choose your favorite princess – Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, the Little Mermaid, Pocahontas, Mulan, or any other.
- The Jungle Book/Tarzan – If you like some adventurous spirit then you can let the party turn into a wild jungle. Decorate the place with lianas and animal print and enjoy the tropical vibe.
- Aladdin – Create a whole new world. Get some purple decorations and a wishing lamp, and genie will do the rest.
- Harry Potter – Favorite wizard of both children and adults and the beautiful Hogwarts can make your party turn into a real magic event. Make decorations for each house and let everyone choose their favorite
- Wild West –If you are a fan of good old westerns, bring your boots and cowboy hat and decorate your venue in some brown shades with wood elements.
- Superhero/ Comic party – Supernatural strength and good against evil are motifs that are always popular. You can choose your teen’s favorite superhero or you can bring them all together. Let Batman, Spider-man, Iron man and all others meet at your party. Other option is to create heroes vs. villains party!
- Zombie apocalypse – The end of the world is coming, but that is not stopping the party! The best option for zombies is to join your celebration.
- Detective movie – Mysterious events and clues all over the place. Your party can be more than a regular party that can, until the end, lead to profound discoveries.
- Star Wars – A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away… But you can bring the galaxy a bit closer! Choose the side and prepare your lightsaber.
- Oscars Party/ Red Carpet
- Pirates of the Caribbean
- Moulin Rouge
- Game of Thrones
- James Bond
- Musicals/Broadway Musicals
- Glam Hollywood
- Cartoon Network
- Denim & diamonds – casual and formal brought together
- Victoria’s secret – pink and feminine
- Tiffany & Co. – a blue themed, elegant party
- Louis Vuitton
- Fashion week
- Travel and culture
Does your daughter feel wanderlust, a strong desire to travel, even when it’s party time. Why wouldn’t you bring her favorite city or country to the party?
- NYC – The most famous city in the world! Bring Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, Time Square and Brooklyn Bridge to reality through décor, pictures, colors and bright lights.
- Hawaii – If you miss beaches and tropical locations, it’s time to buy some luau decorations. Prepare for some limbo dance and pineapple snacks.
- Arabian night – Exotic scents and spices, vivid colors and cushions instead of chairs. Sounds interesting? Arabian culture actually has a lot more to offer.
- Paris – A romantic soul lost in the city of love. Get berets for your guests and prepare them for the journey of their life.
- Toga party – Go back through Greek and Roman history and create an ancient like event in white and gold. All guests must wear togas!
- Mexican Fiesta
- Havana Nights
- Brazilian Carnival
- Japan in Spring
- Creativity and crafts
- Talent show – This is not a usual party. This is a time for everyone to show their hidden talents. They can sing, dance, act, play a musical instrument or do some magic tricks. Prepare a stage and let the show begin.
- Cooking show – If your daughter and her friends love preparing food then they may like this idea. You can all cook some new dish and get all creative and messy. Afterwards you’ll have a great meal.
- Craft party – For this party you’ll need to get all the craft material you can think of – glue, scissors, writing utensils, glitter, paint, brushes, paper. Brainstorm ideas and create a project that everyone can enjoy.
- Mocktail – A great way for everyone to show their creativity and create some non-alcoholic drinks that no one has tried before.
An outside party opens a door to many other possibilities. Here are some options:
- Beach/pool party – If it is summer then it is a perfect time to take your party to the local beach or swimming pool. Get your swimming suits and enjoy the sun with your loved ones.
- BBQ – An easygoing party with tasty food. If possible, you can have it in your backyard. It is also suitable for all ages. Get a grill and start making some burgers and hotdogs.
- Camping – A great summer night adventure. Everyone should have a sleeping bag and a good scary story to share.
- Outdoor movie – Watching movie under the stars with her special crew, what can be better? Bring popcorn and in the end they can play some movie trivia and discuss their favorite scenes.
- Animal day – She can choose to take her friends to the Zoo or even make a gathering where everyone can bring their pet.
- Water wars
- Picnic party
- Cheerleaders and jocks – A popular high school theme, especially if your daughter really is in a cheerleading team. Then she already has her pom-poms and boys can wear their sports gear.
- Favorite team/sport
- Mini golf
- Chocolate – If your daughter has a sweet tooth then let this be her guilty pleasure day. Create a candy land with all her favorite sweets.
- Slumber party – A pajama party that can be hosted at home or even some other venue. Girls can make this their pamper night with some face masks, nail polish and a good movie.
- Karaoke – Create a concert by letting everyone sing their dearest songs.
- Board games tournament – Scrabble, Monopoly, card games, you choose! There are many traditional, but also many new games at your disposal.
- Circus – Clowns and bright colors, carousels and acrobats, what a true representation of entertainment. You can even invite performers to do some acts live during the party.
- Winter wonderland
- Casino themed
- Fire and ice
- Spa day
- Zen style
- Tea party
- Pop art
Maybe these themes inspired you to be innovative and come up with something that we haven’t mentioned. You can create a new theme with more than just one of these. Choose something that represents your daughter’s character and what will make her day unforgettable. Don’t forget to have fun, not just during the party, but also while organizing it!